How To Upgrade 7.1 to 7.3 via yum

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Fri May 21 15:58:55 UTC 2004

Doug Koobs wrote:
>>Hi,
>>Would this be of use to anyone?
>>I had written up a web page on how to upgrade Fermi Linux
>>7.1.1 to Fermi Linux
>>  7.3.1 for our users when we were dropping 7.1.1.  All it
>>needed was for me
>

> I think this would be useful for me. What would be the advantages of using
> yum to go from 7.1 to 7.3, as opposed to using the upgrade option from the
> 7.3 install CD's?
>
> Doug

There are three big area's where doing it via yum is useful.

1- Uptime.  You're up and running the whole time.  I've done this one several
machines and the only downtime is the time it takes to reboot.

2- You are more in control.  We have several users that are very cautious and
wanted to do things one step at a time.  You actually can do 'yum upgrade
kernel' and it will just do the kernel along with all the rpm's needed to
upgrade a kernel.  You can also tell it no when it gives you the list of rpms.

3- It doesn't 'trample over everything' if there is a problem.  I don't write
up web pages unless it saves me time.  I had too many sys admins comming to me
after doing a update from the CD's, and we were having to go through each rpm,
verifying them, finding what got changed.  If an upgrade from the CD's goes
good, it goes good.  If it doesn't go good, your system has all sorts of odd
things happen that you have to track down.  Now I'm not garanteeing that the
yum upgrades won't make things work different, and might have some problems,
but I have found with my admin's, that the problems were less, and most of
them they were able to find before the upgrade, cuz yum wouldn't let them do
things.

Troy
Troy Dawson  dawson at fnal.gov  (630)840-6468