How To Upgrade 7.1 to 7.3 via yum

Doug Koobs dkoobs at fcsservices.com
Fri May 21 17:01:31 UTC 2004

> There are three big area's where doing it via yum is useful.

Sounds like this is the way I want to go (after a good backup). You may want
to add a step to your how-to to edit the yum.conf file. When I followed your
instructions (yum was not installed), and tried to run step 4, this
happened:

[root at fcsftp /root]# yum update yum
Gathering package information from servers
Getting headers from: Red Hat Linux 7.1 base
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 44, in ?
    yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "yummain.py", line 144, in main
  File "clientStuff.py", line 688, in get_package_info_from_servers
  File "clientStuff.py", line 128, in HeaderInfoNevralLoad
ValueError: unpack list of wrong size

There is no 7.1 directory in http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/, so I
changed /etc/yum.conf, and replaced all instances of $releasever with 7.3
and $basearch with i386, then I successfully ran "yum update yum".

I'm assuming that since I am upgrading to 7.3, this is correct. Please
verify. Thanks!!

Doug

Confidential: This electronic message and all contents contain information from Financial Credit Services which may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be for the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, copy, distribution or use of the contents of this message is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender and destroy the original message and all copies.