Compaq SmartStart

Tom G. Christensen tgc at statsbiblioteket.dk
Wed Nov 24 11:00:20 UTC 2004

James Nunnerley wrote:
> I’ve just received a copy of the SmartStart 5.5 disks, and want to run
> it to install Redhat 7.3….

Unless you need to modify the hardware settings you don't need it for
anything when installing Linux.
It's only purpose is hardware configuration and creation of the EISA
partition. Now you don't actually need the EISA partition at all. It's just
convenient sometimes when you need to change a hardware setting and can't be
bothered to boot from the CD.

> How do I start SmartStart?!!!!  It doesn’t want to boot from the CD’s –
> assuming they are bootable…

The SmartStart for Servers CD is bootable. The Management CD is not.

-tgc