Yum and RPM's hang after install of Apache and cups on FC 1

Gilbert Sebenste sebenste at weather.admin.niu.edu
Wed Oct 6 15:54:31 UTC 2004

Hi Alexander,

> Gilbert,
>
> I can offer to install test packages on my FC1 "test" system - please
> advise me then which to try. A missing GPG signing of a package like
> cups is certainly doing no harm. Did you already install the cups and
> httpd test packages from Fedora Legacy on your FC1 system? Your RPM is
> working as long as you don't try to install the testing packages?

No, it doesn't work, and daily cron jobs are crashing as a result:

/usr/bin/run-parts: line 36:  6339 Killed                  $i 2>&1
      6340                       | awk -v "progname=$i" 'progname {
                                   print progname ":\n"
                                   progname="";
                               }
                               { print; }'
/usr/bin/run-parts: line 36: 19569 Hangup                  $i 2>&1
     19570                       | awk -v "progname=$i" 'progname {
                                   print progname ":\n"
                                   progname="";
                               }
                               { print; }

What happens is that when I run rpm -Fvh, it says that it can't find a V3
DSA signature for cups. Then it says "Preapring"...and then it hangs.
Erasing the database, as you suggested, didn't help; when I rebuilt it, or
tried to rebuilt it, it hung. My system otherwise works fine.

What I did to cause this mess:

1. I put the httpd and cups RPMs in a temporary directory.

I did an "rpm -Fvh". They installed fine. httpd and cups work great.

Then, I edited my yum.conf to grab them when I type "yum update".
When I did that, it hung looking for updates. Yum or rpm haven't worked
since.

E-mail: sebenste at weather.admin.niu.edu                                  ***