Upgrading RH9 Kernel and Promise SATA Raid

Simon Weller simon at nzservers.com
Wed Oct 6 19:53:12 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 06 October 2004 02:37 pm, Eucke Warren wrote:
<snip>

> Hello Simon,
>
> That makes sense actually.  Not to distrust 3ware specifically but I tend
> to be leery of any mfr who only has two distributors with whom they
> work...how can I best determine if anyone else is doing true hardware RAID
> in SATA? Like ADAPTEC or Mylex or anyone else?
>
> -Eucke

Adaptec do some nice controllers, but stay away from the cheaper ones, as they
often use third party chipsets from the likes of Promise.
I don't have a lot of experience with Mylex cards, although from memory some
of them use Symbios based chipsets, and I haven't had a good run with them
either.

Those two distributors you mentioned in regards to 3ware are master channel
distributors. You will find 3ware products available through most general
distributors as they buy their product from their upstream.

regards,

Simon
--
Simon Weller LPIC-2
Systems Engineer

<-
To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows box,
you just need to work on it.
 - Scott Granneman, Security Focus
->