Upgrading RH9 Kernel and Promise SATA Raid

Craig Kelley ckelley at ibnads.com
Wed Oct 6 20:00:05 UTC 2004

Simon Weller wrote:

>Adaptec do some nice controllers, but stay away from the cheaper ones, as they
>often use third party chipsets from the likes of Promise.
>I don't have a lot of experience with Mylex cards, although from memory some
>of them use Symbios based chipsets, and I haven't had a good run with them
>either.
>
>Those two distributors you mentioned in regards to 3ware are master channel
>distributors. You will find 3ware products available through most general
>distributors as they buy their product from their upstream.

Adaptec's aacraid controllers are horrible with kernel/bios matching.
We currently have 30-some-odd Dell Poweredge 2650's with Perc3/Di
controllers.  You can only run BIOS XXX with kernel YYY from Redhat 7.3
and such (hence fedora-legacy -- ;-).  We hate them, and are planning on
using LSI (megaraid series) from here on out.

As for IDE; we've used 3ware twice, and have been impressed.

--
Craig Kelley
In-Store Broadcasting Network