FC1 support is ours...

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Sep 14 01:27:12 UTC 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:42:42 -0500 Eric Rostetter wrote:

> What I would appreciate is if anyone can provide me with docs on using
> apt and/or yum with FC1.  Basically just modify what is on the web
site
> now for RHL versions to work for FC1...
>
> I think FC1 has native yum support (in up2date even?) but I just don't
> know for sure since I've never run FC1.  So I'd ask for help here from
> FC1 users.

> Eric Rostetter

Hi Eric - hello all!

I just subscribed to this list awaiting the point when responsibility
for FC1 security updates is handed over to the Fedora Legacy Project.
From current schedule it will be in a week. I am still running FC1 hosts
and have no interest to upgrade them to FC2 and this way have the need
for security fixes in an acceptable time frame. Looking forward ...

Eric, reading your requirement for information about yum and apt and
update on FC1 I can say, that yum works the same as the yum from Fedora
Legacy for RH9. Did you expect something different?

RH9:  yum --version --> 2.0.3
FC1:   yum --version --> 2.0.5

I never used apt on FC1 for anything but short testings. So I cannot say
much valuable.

up2date on FC1 has the capability to handle yum repositories as well as
apt repositories. up2date is independent from yum. It too did not need a
subscription to any RHN channel, a subscription attempts even made it
useless because it caused a misconfiguration. The RHN applet
automatically checks the configured repository for new packages every 4
hours (hard coded). If all is up to date it signalises that with a white
check on a blue circle. If updates are available it becomes a white
exclamation mark on a red circle.

yum and up2date are shipped with FC1. apt is not but available through
different repositories like ATrpms.net as well as fedora.us. I think
many FC1 users are apt users.

A couple of month ago I wrote a small article about the need to
configure up2date and yum to point to different servers than the default
Redhat main server. The article is still available through

http://www.fedoranews.org/contributors/alexander_dalloz/mirror

and may be helpful for you Eric.

If you knock on your head for all I wrote in this mail and saying "man,
this is common ground, no news", then please forgive me. I just jumped
into this list and have so far no true impression who plays which role
in the project. From Eric's posting I concluded some acknowledgment
about the state of the update tools on Fedora Core 1 is needed.

Regards

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 03:00:56 up 15 days, 17 users, load average: 0.94, 0.68,
0.59