FC1 support is ours...

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Sep 14 14:40:16 UTC 2004

Quoting Alexander Dalloz <alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de>:

> Eric, reading your requirement for information about yum and apt and
> update on FC1 I can say, that yum works the same as the yum from Fedora
> Legacy for RH9. Did you expect something different?

Well, for one, we don't need to have them install a 3rd party yum, since
it is in FC1, right?  So the installation instructions will be different.
Is it installed by default as a standalone program, or not?  How about apt?
Is it in the standard paths?  Does it run as a service by default? Does it
include scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d/ for auto updates?  Or a cron job?

> I never used apt on FC1 for anything but short testings. So I cannot say
> much valuable.

Sure you can.  Is it part of FC1?  What's the package name?

As I've said: I've never run FC1, so I know nothing about it.  I need low
level info like whether yum and apt are even in FC1 or not as standalone
applications, etc.

> up2date on FC1 has the capability to handle yum repositories as well as
> apt repositories. up2date is independent from yum. It too did not need a
> subscription to any RHN channel, a subscription attempts even made it
> useless because it caused a misconfiguration. The RHN applet
> automatically checks the configured repository for new packages every 4
> hours (hard coded). If all is up to date it signalises that with a white
> check on a blue circle. If updates are available it becomes a white
> exclamation mark on a red circle.

So we need a new document about up2date for those who want to use it.
And how to configure it (still up in there air actually).  And maybe
why people might want to use yum/apt instead of up2date, etc.

> yum and up2date are shipped with FC1. apt is not but available through
> different repositories like ATrpms.net as well as fedora.us. I think
> many FC1 users are apt users.

Okay, this is the kind of info I need.  That means FL should start creating
its own apt utility also...

> A couple of month ago I wrote a small article about the need to
> configure up2date and yum to point to different servers than the default
> Redhat main server. The article is still available through
>
> http://www.fedoranews.org/contributors/alexander_dalloz/mirror
>
> and may be helpful for you Eric.

Thanks for the pointer.  Should I take this as permission to copy/paste
from your article to the web site?  Please confirm/deny.

> If you knock on your head for all I wrote in this mail and saying "man,
> this is common ground, no news", then please forgive me. I just jumped

No, there is useful info in there.  But there could be more. :)

> into this list and have so far no true impression who plays which role
> in the project. From Eric's posting I concluded some acknowledgment
> about the state of the update tools on Fedora Core 1 is needed.

Exactly.

--
Eric Rostetter