yum broken :p

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Sep 14 22:09:12 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 16:59, Barbara Pennacchi wrote:
> On 14.09.04 22:20, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> > Err, it's not yum that is broken on RH9; I have used yum on RH9 for
> > quite some time now.  I believe the problem she is having is due to
> > using a different python version...  Is that correct, Barbara?
>
> Correct. When I installed yum on both boxes it worked fine. It worked even
> through updating a RH8 box to RH9. Then the need to update python for
> installing mailman came up. And it is this python upgrade that broke yum.

what need to update python for mailman? If you updated python outside of
the packages in the tree - did you, perchance, use rpm --force --nodeps
to update python?

If you did then you broke your python install on your own.

> > If so, you may want to direct this to the yum mailing list as it isn't
> > really related to Fedora Legacy.
>
> Thank you for the pointer. I'll let you know what comes out of it.
>
> In the meanwhile, it wouldn't be a bad idea to add a warning about this on
> the pages related to using/installing yum. :-)

Would the warning read something like this?:

If you decide to break your install by forcing an incompatible package
on top of it then things will break.

B/c that is essentially the warning that you'd have to give out.

If you upgrade glibc beyond what your system can use you can expect
everything to break.

Ditto the case for python.

-sv