FC1 support is ours...

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Sep 14 23:52:34 UTC 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 08:47:12PM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 19:12, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > Am Di, den 14.09.2004 schrieb Eric Rostetter um 16:40:
> > > Sure you can.  Is it part of FC1?  What's the package name?
> >
> > No, apt is not part of Fedora _Core_ 1.
> >
> > http://atrpms.net/dist/fc1/apt/
> > http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.stable/apt-0.5.15cnc6-0.fdr.11.1.i386.rpm
> > http://yarrow.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=1048
> >
> > These are the 3 packaged apt RPMs certainly used by those feeling
> > uncomfortable with yum or up2date on FC1. Each RPM comes with a
> > different default setup.
> >
> > If I may do a suggestion, then contact the packagers and let them adjust
> > their apt RPMs to handle the future Fedora Legacy locations for FC1. I
> > could imagine they would do with favour.

ATrpms' configs already include FL for all current FL repos, and FC1
will be no different :)

> For fedora.us apt package this is a simple matter of just adding the
> relevant fedora-legacy mirrors to the default repository/mirror list
> files hosted on fedora.us server and telling people to rerun 'apt-get
> mirror-select' to enable updates from FL. For others either the users
> need to add the repositories themselves or the packages need to be
> modified.

ATrpms has a very flexible packaging scheme that does not require
repackaging of yum/apt for adding/modifying repo entries (which is not
on conflict to what Panu describes, the concepts are orthogonal
AFAICT), which I would recommend to Fedora Legacy to adopt:

Yum's and apt's config files are split out the main packages into a
separate packages (also done by the kde-redhat project). This allows
crafting vendor/repo neutral apt/yum packages and several
*-package-config packages. The latter could also carry semantics like
Panu's mirror scripts or other apt magic.

For instance ATrpms has atrpms-package-config that activates only
base/updates/atrpms and alternatively a medley-package-config that
activates a larger set of compatible repos. Every repo could simply
create its own *-package-config rpm and reuse the same sets of rpms
like ATrpms.

In this scheme FL could deploy fedoralegacy-package-config with only
base/updates. This would allow more repos to share the same tool bits,
but with different base configurations. Better for QA and inter-repo
compatibility carma :)

It is also easier to modify default yum.conf/sources.list entries for
adding more (commented?) mirrors etc.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net