FC1 support is ours...

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Wed Sep 15 16:13:04 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 02:52, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 08:47:12PM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> > >
> > > No, apt is not part of Fedora _Core_ 1.
> > >
> > > http://atrpms.net/dist/fc1/apt/
> > > http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.stable/apt-0.5.15cnc6-0.fdr.11.1.i386.rpm
> > > http://yarrow.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=1048
> > >
> > > These are the 3 packaged apt RPMs certainly used by those feeling
> > > uncomfortable with yum or up2date on FC1. Each RPM comes with a
> > > different default setup.
> > >
> > > If I may do a suggestion, then contact the packagers and let them adjust
> > > their apt RPMs to handle the future Fedora Legacy locations for FC1. I
> > > could imagine they would do with favour.
>
> ATrpms' configs already include FL for all current FL repos, and FC1
> will be no different :)
>
> > For fedora.us apt package this is a simple matter of just adding the
> > relevant fedora-legacy mirrors to the default repository/mirror list
> > files hosted on fedora.us server and telling people to rerun 'apt-get
> > mirror-select' to enable updates from FL. For others either the users
> > need to add the repositories themselves or the packages need to be
> > modified.
>
> ATrpms has a very flexible packaging scheme that does not require
> repackaging of yum/apt for adding/modifying repo entries (which is not
> on conflict to what Panu describes, the concepts are orthogonal
> AFAICT), which I would recommend to Fedora Legacy to adopt:
>
> Yum's and apt's config files are split out the main packages into a
> separate packages (also done by the kde-redhat project). This allows
> crafting vendor/repo neutral apt/yum packages and several
> *-package-config packages.

Sure, it'd be possible to just add apt-fedora-legacy-conf.rpm or such
which drops in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/fedora-legacy.list and nothing
else (well perhaps the GPG key) and have it "just work". For yum 2.0.x
it's not quite as easy since there's no yum.conf.d, 2.1.x does have that
though.

> The latter could also carry semantics like Panu's mirror scripts or other apt magic.

Note that the mirror-select thing is totally distro/repository agnostic,
it's just preconfigured in fedora.us apt package for, well, fedora.us :)
You can just drop in config bits describing where to fetch the mirror
list for this repository - eg for fedora-legacy it might be something
like this in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/fedora-legacy.conf:
Apt::State::mirrors-URL::
"http://www.fedoralegacy.org/mirrorlists/fc1-legacy.list";

..and the next time the user runs 'apt-get mirror-select' you'll see the
FL repository as a new option in the list of repositories + it's
mirrors. For an example of drop-in config rpm for mirror-select
including GPG key see
http://fedora.laiskiainen.org/SRPMS.lvn/apt-config-livna-2.0-0.lvn.1.src.rpm
(IIRC that's somewhat outdated but you'll get the idea)

	- Panu -