Automatic updates again (well mysql actually)

Peter Surda shurdeek at routehat.org
Fri Apr 1 10:56:30 UTC 2005

Hello,

while I agree that you should test updates (by whatever means required) before
installing them on productions machines, it remans a fact that after updating
mysql-server without stopping it before, you often reach a state where getting
it working requires manuain intervention (service mysqld restart often isn't
enough).

This isn't new. Previous mysql-server updates also behaved like this, just
apparently noone complained in the list.

Unless there is a technical reason for it to behave like this (which I don't
think because I use other distributions as well and these don't suffer from
this problem), I think it is safe to say that this is a bug, and it makes
sense to fix it (please note I didn't say "it is necessary to fix it", just
that it makes sense).

So could we perhaps stick to the technical part, try to find a fix and leave
the patch management policies to someone else?

Bye,

Peter Surda (Shurdeek) <shurdeek at routehat.org>, ICQ 10236103, +436505122023

--
                        Don't drink and su.