automatic nightly updates

Paul subsolar at subsolar.org
Sun Apr 24 02:05:56 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 14:49 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> I think you are speaking of one extreme, but there are also others.
> There are many customers of RedHat who buy hardware from the RH HW
> compatibility list specifically because they know RH tests on that
> hardware.  This alleviates the customer from having to re-test and
> gets
> the fixes into production faster.  Who is going to test better RH or
> the
> Customer's IT guy?   <--- that's not a direct question, that's
> something
> to ponder.

The customer's IT guy!!!!
I've had RHEL updates break systems ... so I always uses test machines
with the same hardware (or as close as possible) for any critical
systems.

RHEL updates go though significant QA and still can break things if you
have an untested hardware combination.  RH can't possibly test all
combinations of hardware even for certified ones.

Paul