automatic nightly updates

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 25 19:23:20 UTC 2005

Quoting Jim Popovitch <jimpop at yahoo.com>:

> There are many customers of RedHat who buy hardware from the RH HW
> compatibility list specifically because they know RH tests on that
> hardware.  This alleviates the customer from having to re-test and gets
> the fixes into production faster.  Who is going to test better RH or the
> Customer's IT guy?

We bought Dell PowerEdge 2650's which were certified by Red Hat *and* Dell
to work. But a RH kernel update killed almost all of them...  So much for
buying from the Red Hat compatibility list.  If both Red Hat and Dell
missed the issue, and it took them months and multiple attempts to fix,
what does that say about the issue?

Heck, we even tested it on-site, but on lightly loaded machines, and didn't
catch it.  But we caught it almost immediately on a heavily loaded, critical
production machine when we put it on there.  So in this case even our own
testing didn't work.  But because of change control, we knew it had to
be the kernel and backed it out.  If we'd had a dozen automatted updates
go in, how would we have even known which one (or combination of updates)
caused it, or even know if it was related to the updates?

--
Eric Rostetter