automatic nightly updates

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 25 23:19:02 UTC 2005

Quoting "Pettit, Paul" <ismanager at ccbnpts.com>:

> > Ingo T. Storm wrote:
> >
> > > Dan Schlitt schrieb:
> > > It would be nice if yum had an option to just download the rpms.
> >
> > It has - at least the releases I use.
> >
> > /usr/bin/yum --download-only update
> >
> > in a cron job should do exactly what you want.
> >
> > Ingo
> >

> And Ingo wins the award for the best response in this thread. Going to have
> to try that one out, thanks Ingo!

Agreed, except it doesn't work for most (or any?) of the FL yum versions,
AFAIK.  But, it is nice to know that yum has addressed the issue in newer
versions.

> You know it's kind of humorous that this whole tread has happened again.

I bet it will happen more times in the future (probably every time someone
gets burned by auto updates hosing their system).

But, it has helped me refine the autoupdates.php document at least :)

> Regardless of how many documents they put up, how many times they point out
> "best" practices, it's ultimately the system administrator's (i.e. your) job
> to make the call. If there is a chance that a patch will fubar your
> system(s), best to make sure YOU have it covered.

Exactly!

--
Eric Rostetter