[FC1] Unofficial Updates to ZLIB

Peter J. Holzer hjp+fedora-legacy at wsr.ac.at
Mon Aug 8 15:40:13 UTC 2005

On 2005-08-08 10:23:03 -0500, Mike Klinke wrote:
> On Monday 08 August 2005 09:21, James Kosin wrote:
> > JAMES'  Unofficial Unsupported by RedHat, Redhat Fedora Core, and
> > Redhat Fedora Legacy Groups!
> > ~    Any support for my packages, will only come from me!  There
> > is no bugzilla for the packages, groups may not know what version
> > you are talking about.  The biggest support can come from ME or
> > the source creators of the program.  Although, any patches kept
> > over from the Fedora Core packages are not supported by the
> > vendor of the software. ~    My packages are usually re-packaged
> > new versions of many programs.

Nice disclaimer. Unfortunately people don't seem to read it.

> > ZLib 1.2.3
> > ------------
>
> Hmmmm, a private security fix?  I was under the impression that
>  this is the kind of thing that's supposed to be addressed by the
>  Fedora Legacy Project.  If so, isn't this going to be rather
>  confusing?

Fedora Legacy has a different policy for security fixes: Patches are
generally backported to the released version, upgrades to the newest
version are avoided.

> >Version 1.2.3 eliminates potential security vulnerabilities in
> > zlib 1.2.1 and 1.2.2, so all users of those versions should
> > upgrade immediately. The following important fixes are provided
> > in zlib 1.2.3 over 1.2.1 and 1.2.2:
>
> For example, why is this identified with FC1

Probably because it was built for FC1.

> when the "current" FC1 zlib package that's been released
> ( http://download.fedoralegacy.org/fedora/1/updates/i386/ ) is:
>
> rpm -qa | grep -i zlib
> zlib-1.2.0.7-2.1.legacy

So fedora legacy includes a patched version of zlib 1.2.0.7, and James
offers a package for zlib 1.2.3. Where's the problem?

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | In our modern say,learn,know in a day
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | world, perhaps being an expert is an
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |    -- Catharine Drozdowski on dbi-users.