LWN article about us

David Botsch dwb7 at ccmr.cornell.edu
Fri Feb 4 15:53:10 UTC 2005

I'll go ahead and speak up as someone for whom dropped rh7.3 support would
affect us (though, it wouldn't be too much worse than the present state of
updates not really coming out).

We have a large install base of rh7.3 linux computers here. We looked at
progeny, but they priced themselves out of our range, and were not even willing
to talk about any sort of educational pricing. So, we are working on moving to
rhel3, but, ensuring that software works and that the packages which we need
are there (eg missing ncftp, w3m, gnumeric among others) means it is taking a
while.

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 10:23:59AM +1000, Michael Mansour wrote:
> Hi Dominic,
>
> > On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 11:46:03PM +0000, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> > > An article about us was posted a couple of weeks ago that I didn't see
> > > before: http://lwn.net/Articles/119892/
> >
> > One issue raised here is whether we should be dropping support for
> > 7.3 by now. Documentated end of support for 7.3 according to
> > <http://www.fedoralegacy.org/about/faq.php> is the middle of this year
> > (ie 1.5 years after Red Hat EOL). I would say that we should drop it
> > no later than the introduction of FC2 support in March, though, because
> > three distros is already fairly unmanagable. I'd be happy to drop it
> > earlier, though.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> The oldest machines I have running are FC1 machines, and I'm only a month away
> from either upgrading (to FC3) or side-stepping (to another dist) those
> machines.
>
> Just for my 2c, dropping support for 7.3 and 9 won't affect me. If it will
> affect others, they really should speak up :)
>
> Michael.
>

> --

David William Botsch
Consultant/Advisor II