LWN article about us

Pettit, Paul ismanager at ccbnpts.com
Mon Feb 7 20:35:57 UTC 2005

One of the main reasons I'm using FL is the support (regardless of the
delays) that I get for RH 7.3 and 9.

IMHO 7.3 was the pinacle of the server-only RH distro. I paid full price
for a Pro disk set and manuals because I wanted to back RH as best I
could. Since then the server that 7.3 is on has run non-stop (save for
new kernels) for over 2 years. We have no plan on upgrading to any of
the FC versions, they are not production level products. Upgrading to
RHEL is an expense that can't be justified in that the 7.3 server is
stable as a rock and there is no upgrade path from it to RHEL.

The same goes for RH9 which we have installed. Though not a server-only
distro it's possibly the best of all the old Pro series (and yes, we
paid full price for it too) and is the acknoledged basis for the first
RHEL version to come out. It's been stable and is as solid an OS as you
can find. While we could upgrade to RHEL again the cost its not worth
the cost to just replace it when the server has not had a single
problem.

If I were to have a voice in what FL supported I'd say the following:
RH7.3, RH9 and FC -1 from currently supported version. If interest dries
up on 7.3 or 9 then you make the call when it comes to that. The FC
support would roll with how fast the new versions are pushed out but
would allow the "older" FC versions to die off (remember they are
development versions after all).

Just my .02 from the outside.

Whatever happens I appriciate all the support that FL has give us to
maintain what we have. Keep up the good work guys. :)

Paul Pettit
CTO and IS Manager
Consistent Computer Bargains Inc.

I've heard it said that the proof of lunacy is when you repeat the same
steps expecting different results.  I say it's proof that you're a
Microsoft user. - comment by deshi777 on experts-exchange.com