LWN article about us

Michael J Schout mschout at gkg.net
Tue Feb 8 05:46:00 UTC 2005

Simon Weller wrote:
> We also have a sizable number of 7.3 servers that we're slowly starting
> to migrate to Centos, but it does take time.

We are in the same situation.

We had hoped that fedora legacy would enable us to stay with 7.3
indefinately, but it just hasn't worked out that way.

Currently, the state of fedora legacy is that there are over 15 packages
just "waiting" for packages to be built for updates-tesitng. In
addition, about 5 or more packages have been built for updates-testing,
have the appropriate number of VERIFY votes in bugzilla, but they have
not been released to "updates" yet. As far as I can tell, only one
person can do those tasks (build updates-testing packages and/or release
from updates-testing to updates), and no number of community volunteers
will help with a that unless some control is given to the community over
the release/package building process.  So in other words, about 20 fixes
are held up by the package building and/or "move to updates" process.
I'm not sure what is the best way to fix that :).

So we are in the process of migrating to another distribution.
My employeer is currently using a private yum repository in which we
publish many of the fixes from fedora's bugzilla system in the meantime.
  I have started to contribute QA work on the 7.3 related issues, but
overall, it just takes too long for things to get published in FL.  I'm
not sure what the best solution is to that .  I don't know enough about
what happens during the package building/publish process :).

Regards,
Michael Schout