FC1, "yum group*" commands

Jeff Sheltren sheltren at cs.ucsb.edu
Sat Feb 19 15:40:04 UTC 2005

On 2/18/05 9:54 PM, "Dan Trainor" <info at hostinthebox.net> wrote:

> Good Evening, Jeff -
>
> Yes, it did answer my question absolutely.
>
> I am guessing that others are probably wishing this functionality did
> exist.  So with that being said, what can I do to create a yumgroups.xml
> that can be used by the FL project?  I would imagine that there is a
> specific format for such a file, so do you know where I might be able to
> get more information on this?
>
> Thanks a lot
> -dant

Hi Dan, in what context have you used the group* commands, and how would you
like them to be used for FL?  To me, this seems like the type of thing for
an individual mirror maintainer to setup if they wish, but not something
that is necessarily good to have on FL's download site.  Personally I've
used the group* features of yum quite a bit so that I can specify certain
packages that need to be installed on say 'Instructional' machines or
'cluster' machines, but this isn't really related to the purpose of FL which
is to put out fixes for security issues on past RH releases.

By the way, there are a couple scripts you could use to create your
yumgroups.xml file, and you can read more about it on the yum mailing list.

Scripts are here (similar scripts; the perl one will look through
directories of RPMs for you):
http://www.linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/download/misc/yumgengroups.py
http://www.linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/download/misc/yumgroups.pl

And the mailing list is here: