If you upgrade to FC4

beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Sat Jul 2 19:37:27 UTC 2005

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 14:46:34 -0400, seth vidal wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 14:05 -0400, beartooth wrote:
>> I've just upgraded three machines with working installs -- one each of
>> FC1, 2,& 3 -- to FC4. [....]
>> Turns out the upgrade from FC1 is different than from FC2 or 3;
>> somewhere along in there, big (and very good) changes were made in yum
>> -- and maybe that's the reason.
>
> yes - FC1 goes from a 2.4 kernel to a 2.6 kernel - and A LOT of other
> changes.

The specifics are over my head; I had heard, likely on this list, that
they were big; and would've seen it at a glance if I hadn't. My praises
and congratulations to the developers, with great thanks! For FC4 overall,
and yum in particular.

>> [....] -- and didn't tell me
>> so, or if it did I missed it or failed to understand it.
>
> it told you - all those messages are outputted when yum runs.

Not while the installer runs?? (I'd've expected it there, maybe in big
boldface red letters ....  -- no, not literally red.)

Then it may be a relevant accident that I just happened to hit the
downtime on the RH server -- which Alexander Dalloz had just announced on
gmane's fedora.general list when I looked -- and only gradually realized
it couldn't've been down so long as my end was beginning to make it look.

>>...but I didn't know what to replace it with, much less
>> that the replacement was already there and waiting, until my excellent
>> guru spotted that.
>
> the .rpmnew file.

Yes. What I'm saying is that I hadn't known that. And fwiw, I had an email
within ten minutes or so of my post, from another user who'd been in the
same boat.

Fwiw, past experience suggests it's exactly this sort of unawareness that
Alpha Plus Technoids can no longer imagine; that's one reason I posted.

Is there a good explanation of .rpmnew files somewhere, in terms a
subtechnoid can follow? I don't recall ever hearing of them till now.

>> Once I had a current FC4, Pine went back to working like the charm it
>> is.
>
> you will probably want to find a new pine rpm. If you're still running
> the one from fc1 age you will want a new one - if only for security
> reasons.

Done in advance, as a matter of fact. I had tried several ways to get pine
running even before I got my yum.conf straightened out; one of those had
been to do rpm -e pine, download the rpm from UW (There wasn't, and as of
five minutes ago still isn't, an rpm for FC4 on Dag's site yet.), and try
to do rpm -ivh -- which reported it did install. But only when I had FC4
updated would it launch -- even though I had also installed the dependency
it asked for.

--
Beartooth Neo-Redneck, Linux Evangelist
FC 1&4, YDL 4; Pine 4.63, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3;