If you upgrade to FC4

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Sun Jul 3 05:27:00 UTC 2005

On Jul 2, 2005, at 12:37 PM, beartooth wrote:
> Is there a good explanation of .rpmnew files somewhere, in terms a
> subtechnoid can follow? I don't recall ever hearing of them till now.

When RPM upgrades a package, if it notices that you (or another
program) have customized a config file, it will do one of two
things:  Either it will rename your existing file as
whatever.conf.rpmsave and create a new default config, or it will
leave your config in place and create the new config as
whatever.conf.rpmnew.

I'm not entirely sure how it decides which change to make.  It may be
something the person who builds the package can define.

rpm -U will output a message saying something like "/etc/profile
saved as /etc/profile.rpmsave", and in my experience, yum has always
output these messages as it installs each package.

So after you do a major upgrade, you should look through /etc for
files ending in .rpmsave and .rpmnew, compare them to the current
config file, and decide whether to accept the new config, stick with
the old one, or pick and choose between them.  Most of the time you
can get away with using the choice RPM made -- you don't *need* the
new command prompt for bash, or you want to keep your list of font
directories -- but sometimes something important has changed, and you
need to combine your customizations with the new config.