Wiki Permissions

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Wed Jul 20 19:04:41 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 13:38 -0500, Eric Rostetter wrote:
> FL is not putting them there.  They are user contributed links.  We don't
> review them until after they are there, so we can't stop them (part of the
> wonders of wikis).  So the question is two part:

With the new wiki, we have to approve people to write to our wiki space.
This becomes much less of an issue.

> 1) Is it is a problem that people might add bad content, even if we later
>    find and remove it, etc.

If we remove it when we see it, shouldn't be a problem.  We can
'subscribe' to the contrib page and see when changes are made via email
so that we can log in and immediately remove the content and warn the
user about what should go there instead.

> 2) Should we instead make them submit package links to us for review?  Legally
>    this adds additional burden on us.  It also makes more work for those
>    who already have too much work.

I'm still not happy w/ the whole idea of Contrib.  Legacy isn't addon
stuff.  Legacy is security fixes for old releases.  Add on packages for
old releases is outside the scope of Legacy and I don't want to have
anything to do with it.

> 3) Should we just kill the page, since it *might* violate RH/FP policy if
>    someone abuses it?

I vote kill it.

> We're not talking about the intended use of the page, we're talking about
> abuse, etc.
>
> Also, I'd have to remove the links to the repositories on their (ATrpms,
> etc) since they likely have questionable packages, etc.  So we couldn't
> use it to point to other sources anymore, just to peoples individual packages.
> If indeed we can even do that.
>
> What we need is a clear statement of policy on the wiki we're proposing to
> move to.

Policy is simple.  Don't link to anything that is legally questionable.
In the Legacy space we shouldn't have to worry about that.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (http://geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (http://www.fedoralegacy.org)

Was I helpful?  Let others know: