Updates Politics Proposal

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sun Jun 12 21:13:16 UTC 2005

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 02:57:59PM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
>
>>>What say you?
>>
>>That leads to releases being upgraded on previous OS releases.  This is
>>against the policy of Fedora Legacy, as it is no longer a backport.  We
>>need to avoid this as much as possible.
>

> To elaborate -- the concern is that this actually causes *more* work,
> because upgrading packages can have all sorts of interactions and
> consequences. Keeping the package versions the same means that less
> extensive testing is required, and rarely if ever does changing one package
> mean that some other package needs to be updated too.

I cannot generalize about other packages, but keeping the same version
makes a lot of sense for gaim specifically.  Rawhide's gaim package
should work on all legacy distributions after flipping switches and
rebuilding.  And there is no good reason not to upgrade gaim's version.
  Nothing depends on gaim, and especially not server functionality.

Just do it for gaim.  Save time for other more important backports.

Warren