Fedora Legacy advistory list is lacking

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Mar 1 06:17:54 UTC 2005

Quoting Pekka Savola <pekkas at netcore.fi>:

> This should _really_ be done by e.g.,
>   - having a script automatically demultiplex these messages from
> fedora-devel-list

Such a script exists.  It just isn't automatted.  Would be fairly easy
to do in theory.  Just subscribe an account to the list, run it through
something like procmail to process it and do a CVS checkin of the results,
and have an automated web site update from the CVS on a regular basis.

>   - requiring that the announce message that is sent out is also copied
> on the web server, from which the list of advisories is created
> immediately, or

The list (web page) you see is generated (via php) at request time.

>   - not provide any list at all, just point to the list archives for
> the advisories

This would also be possible in theory.  But it isn't as flexible as
the current message, at least in theory.  We're not using much of the
flexibility in the current method, but it is there (waiting for us to
want to use it).

> Manually updating seems to be a waste of energy, error prone, and
> incurs unnecessary delays.

Well, not sure about the first two, but it surely does incur delays.

> --
>
> --

Eric Rostetter