Can we get a zlib update?

Tom Yates madlists at teaparty.net
Wed Mar 2 18:13:32 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Jesse Keating wrote:

> Why should the buck START with zlib?  If we do one, then we should do
> them all right?  I'm sorry but this is a hard line I have to draw.

fwiw, i wholeheartedly support jesse on this.

i think it's been fairly well established that zlib doesn't need upgrading
to build ClamAV, but even if we were discussing some deep core tool,
without whose upgrade no single piece of code released anywhere on earth
since 1.1.2003 would build, i'd still support the "we patch, not upgrade"
policy.

i'm maintaining production servers on the strength of FL, and i do *not*
want stuff changing under me without my consent.  where i need new
functionality (as i do, for (eg) squirrelmail and spamassassin), i'll
package it myself.  unless i choose to do that, or to bite the bullet and
upgrade an entire system, i *really* don't want upgrades disguised as
fixes sneaking in under the radar.

--

   Tom Yates
   Cambridge, UK.