[FLSA-2005:2336] Updated kernel packages fix security issues

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Mar 2 23:35:38 UTC 2005

Quoting Jim Popovitch <jimpop at yahoo.com>:

> The problem Jesse is that nobody is going to give you or FL much money,

Jesse has continually said we're not hurting for money/servers/etc. but
rather for participation.

> or very much time, when you represent the project like you do below.

While I know where you are going, you're not getting there.  You need
to change your tactics.

If more people did give time, we'd be better able to keep folks informed
as you desire.  Catch-22 maybe, but that's the truth.

> I want to help nore, even possibly contribute money, but I have to see
> some organization first.

Then help form that organization.  Participate in the formation of it.

> If you compare FL to Debian there are striking
> real differences.

Yes.  And if I compare Germany to France, there are some striking real
differences.

> OK, so FL isn't a distro like Debian, it is still an
> entity that needs some good organization, a charter, and some
> professionalism.

It has some organization, but needs more/better organization.  So why not
help to create it?

It has no real charter, but the "Overview" is as close to a charter as
we have, and defines to some extent the organization, so why not help us
by checking out the 11 month old revision of it as requested on the web
site?

It has a decent level of professionalism.  I'd like to see it higher.
But that is true of all open source projects I work on.  It is true
of the university I work for.  It is true of my local, state, and federal
governments.  The only way I can change that for any of these groups is
through pariticipation or litigation, and litigation won't work in most
cases (at least in the short term).

> Compare FL to any other entity that is trying to gain
> some respect, there are things that need to happen that just aren't
> happening with FL.

Hmmm...  I don't really see that.  Sorry.

--
Eric Rostetter