Question re timing of "going legacy"

Kelson kelson at speed.net
Thu Mar 3 17:39:20 UTC 2005

Carl Sopchak wrote:
> I was wondering what the rationale was for moving FC<t-2> to Fedora Legacy
> when FC<t> test2 release is announced.  (I.e., FC2 "going legacy" when FC4
> test2 is released, as was also done with FC1/FC3.)  Is it the "push" / extra
> resources required to get from test2 to final release?

I don't think this is really Fedora Legacy's decision.  Fedora Legacy
just picks up a release when Fedora Core drops it.

As for why Fedora *Core* is dropping support for FC2 at one point and
not another, that could more properly be answered over at one of their
lists.  As I recall the original plan simply called for "two or three
months" of updates past the release of the next version, in which case
both FC1 and FC2 have gotten extra time.  I've always assumed that
timing it to match a test release was a matter of picking something
relevant rather than picking an arbitrary date.

--
Kelson Vibber