Question re timing of "going legacy"

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Thu Mar 3 17:44:10 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 09:39 -0800, Kelson wrote:
> I don't think this is really Fedora Legacy's decision.  Fedora Legacy
> just picks up a release when Fedora Core drops it.

Correct, however I was involved in picking the action date.  We figured
Test2 was a good time as any.  Gives us time where RH's systems won't be
completely bogged down w/ downloaders of a new release, so that we can
be fully up to speed even quicker.  As time progresses and Legacy is
involved even closer w/ Red Hat, there will likely be very little
'transition' work that has to be done.

> As for why Fedora *Core* is dropping support for FC2 at one point and
> not another, that could more properly be answered over at one of
> their
> lists.  As I recall the original plan simply called for "two or three
> months" of updates past the release of the next version, in which
> case
> both FC1 and FC2 have gotten extra time.  I've always assumed that
> timing it to match a test release was a matter of picking something
> relevant rather than picking an arbitrary date.

Right.  Dates are hard, but actions are easy to aim for.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (http://geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (http://www.fedoralegacy.org)

Was I helpful?  Let others know: