mysql-server

Steve Traylen s.traylen at rl.ac.uk
Fri Mar 25 21:24:12 UTC 2005

On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 09:41:00AM -0800 or thereabouts, Ajay Sharma wrote:
> Joe Sauer wrote:
> > Did anyone else experience any mysql servers not restarting themselves
> > properly, after the mysql-server upgrade last night, and having to
> > manually restart mysqld?
>
> I'm not sure why but mysql never restarted after an update, even from
> the "official" Redhat updates.  I guess the thinking was that they
> didn't want to shutdown a running server in the middle of a query?  But
> it's kinda pointless because the mysql server is pretty much busted
> after you install the RPM.  You *need* the restart to make it work.
>
> In any case, install the mysql-server manually just like the kernel.  :)

Hi  Ajay,

  I noted this with the  MySQL upgrade and I did add a bug report to
  Redhat but I can not find it anywhere in bugzilla there now....

  In the init.d script there is a line that looks something like

  ping="mysqladmin ........"

  if you add  a '-t 2' with in this command then you should hopefully
  have more success starting up MySQL.

      Steve

     Steve