mysql-server

Tom Yates madlists at teaparty.net
Tue Mar 29 17:30:08 UTC 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Eric Rostetter wrote:

> Quoting "Pettit, Paul" <ismanager at ccbnpts.com>:
>
> > past Friday was Good Friday and though not an "official" holiday it is
> > common for many companies (mainly nonprofits) to take that day off. It's
> > also a prime day for people to take a day of vacation (if they aren't
> > already off). Releasing major updates on any major federal / religious
> > holiday is, IMHO, a bad idea. Releasing them on weekends can also be
> > just as bad.
[...]
> I only agree with not releasing updates on holidays/weekends when it is
> an update for an unknown, unpublished, unexploited problem.  If the bug
> is already know or being exploited, we need to get the update out asap.

what's so special about federal holidays?  many FL users are outside the
US.  are we going to interdict all public holidays everywhere?  or add
localised holiday-handling code to yum?

in all cases, we should release as soon as we have something that (a)
fixes the problem and (b) passes QA, and let the end-user decide how they
would like to handle the released code.

> The real issue here is that you should *NOT* do auto-updates on
> production (or critical) machines, ever, period.

i completely agree, and that's the only way i'd ever consider upgrading
mine.

--

   Tom Yates
   Cambridge, UK.