mysql-server

Pettit, Paul ismanager at ccbnpts.com
Tue Mar 29 17:48:28 UTC 2005

> Tom Yates wrote:
>
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Eric Rostetter wrote:
>
> > Quoting "Pettit, Paul" <ismanager at ccbnpts.com>:
> >
> > > past Friday was Good Friday and though not an "official"
> holiday it is
> > > common for many companies (mainly nonprofits) to take
> that day off. It's
> > > also a prime day for people to take a day of vacation (if
> they aren't
> > > already off). Releasing major updates on any major
> federal / religious
> > > holiday is, IMHO, a bad idea. Releasing them on weekends
> can also be
> > > just as bad.
> [...]
> > I only agree with not releasing updates on
> holidays/weekends when it is
> > an update for an unknown, unpublished, unexploited problem.
>  If the bug
> > is already know or being exploited, we need to get the
> update out asap.
>
> what's so special about federal holidays?  many FL users are
> outside the
> US.  are we going to interdict all public holidays
> everywhere?  or add
> localised holiday-handling code to yum?

I was using the term "federal" in it's broadest terms. Guess I should
have used the word "government" instead ... or would you have taken
offence to that too?

Please try and not start some kind of 'them vs us' fight where there was
none intended.

> in all cases, we should release as soon as we have something that (a)
> fixes the problem and (b) passes QA, and let the end-user
> decide how they
> would like to handle the released code.

And how I handle it is obviously not too important here.

Since there is no way to cache the downloads for implienting manually I
guess I'm SOL.

> > The real issue here is that you should *NOT* do auto-updates on
> > production (or critical) machines, ever, period.
>
> i completely agree, and that's the only way i'd ever consider
> upgrading
> mine.

I'm glad.

I don't want to go to each and every machine (I have more than 1) and
manually run yum to update them. It defeats the purpose of having cron.
In fact Fedora Legacy's own documentation has a specific step for adding
automatic updates (step 4 - 7.3 documentation). There is no mention that
this process is NOT recommended by FL nor would I expect one. To limit
people to manually acting on updates devalues FL's service below
Microsoft.

As I seem to be a minority I will shut up now. Still I appriciate the
work put into the updates.

Paul Pettit

p.s. fedoralegacy.org is refusing connections. :(