mysql-server

Pettit, Paul ismanager at ccbnpts.com
Tue Mar 29 20:49:35 UTC 2005

> Michal Jaegermann
>
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 01:05:51PM -0600, Eric Rostetter wrote:
> > Maybe yum could be modified to allow you to download the
> updates to the
> > cache without installing them
>
> Not much need for this, really.  'yum check-update' will produce not
> only a status but a list of packages if any available.  Feeding that
> to a program (lftp, wget, .... ) which will retrieve those from
> suitable mirrors is not that complicated.
>
>    Michal

Hmmm, covered this, but again that is a manual fix. The problem is when
you want to do updates automaticaly but in doing so updates come out at
times when there is no support ready (on holiday/vacation/etc) for
undocumented problems.

Piping 'yum check-update' through another tool to download is
interesting but it still causes you to have to go to each server and
update manually. Plus I'm not certain that 'check-update' checks for
dependancies which if it doesn't would cause to extra work to fill those
before doing the update and thus increasing the administration overhead
on each server per update. Anyone know if 'check-update' checks for
dependancies as well as updates?

Paul Pettit