FC2 CVS update-testing Package

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Tue May 10 05:17:19 UTC 2005

On Mon, 9 May 2005, David Curry wrote:
> Some question about CVS:
> I have no experience with use of cvs and it is not currently installed on my
> system.  I am willing to install the updated package on my system to help
> verify the update, but at the moment the only thing I could "test" would be
> package installaltion.
>
> As one who is unlikely to program anything or develop code to patch bugs,
> security exposures, etc., could CVS be useful to me for other purposes?  I am
> open to suggestions and willing to spend a little time developing a CVS
> installation on my system to help out the QA process.

Fortunately, CVS got just a couple of days ago enough VERIFY votes
that the update can be published, so there is no dire need at this
point.

Whether you'd _really_ need CVS depends a lot on whether you have
a lot of systems to manage which you need to manage in a systematic
manner (e.g., by keeping a local repository of configuration file
changes, etc.).

But for testing purposes, it would be sufficient to take a development
project, for example Fedora Core
[http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/core.shtml], and check out something
from there (the page has emacs as an example).  That allows you to
play with cvs a bit.