FC2 CVS update-testing Package

Peter J. Holzer hjp+fedora-legacy at wsr.ac.at
Tue May 10 07:24:25 UTC 2005

On 2005-05-09 23:46:02 -0400, David Curry wrote:
> As one who is unlikely to program anything or develop code to patch
> bugs, security exposures, etc., could CVS be useful to me for other
> purposes?

CVS is - as the name says - a "concurrent versioning system". It is
useful if you need to keep multiple versions of the same files,
especially if several people (or one person at several places) may
change them concurrently. Source code is only one exampe, it works for
all kinds of text files and (although less efficiently) also for binary
files.

For example, we keep configuration files in CVS to keep an annotated
history of changes. We also keep the contents of several web servers in
CVS to sync them between multiple computers (e.g., my laptop, a test web
server, and the production web server).

If you are new to versioning systems, you may want to have a look at
Subversion (svn). It is very similar to CVS but lacks some of the more
annoying restrictions of CVS.

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer \Beta means "we're down to fixing misspelled comments in
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR     \the source, and you might run into a memory leak if
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ \write your plugins upside-down in lisp". --ae at op5.se