Hints and tips for building from srcrpms

Brian T. Brunner brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
Wed May 18 18:39:19 UTC 2005

Source rpms are without architectural assumptions, they must look up the target arch and build for it.

Binary rpms are built for 386, 586, 686, etc.

You're building from source, are you building binary rpms for distribution? if so then you have the arch consideration.

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
(610)796-5838

>>> gerry at pathtech.org 05/18/05 02:21PM >>>
I said in a earlier message that I was attempting to build gcc and
family so that tbird and firefox will install under 7.3. In trying to
build from source I noticed that my architecture is recognized as i686
which is okay for me but if this exercise works wouldn't it better to
have the rpms as i386? I think so but haven't a clue how to do it. Any
hints/tips will be appreciated. If this works perhaps the builds could
be added to the repository.
--
G. Roderick Singleton <gerry at pathtech.org>
PATH tech