Upcoming transition of FC3

Jeff Sheltren sheltren at cs.ucsb.edu
Wed Oct 19 18:17:59 UTC 2005

On Oct 19, 2005, at 1:57 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:

> FC3 will soon be in our hands, when FC5 test 2 is released.  According
> to our schedule, this means that FC1 will be retired.  FC2 and FC3
> will
> be the maintained Fedora releases.
>
> I will be working with Red Hat to try and make a smooth transition
> between them and us for FC3 updates.  Today I am populating the
> download
> server with the current FC3 content and I will be syncing at regular
> intervals until release time.  I'm open to ideas regarding the
> transition, but my current thought is to have Red Hat make one final
> update to yum that would include an /etc/yum.repos.d/legacy.repo file
> that has all our repository information there.  Turned off of
> course, I
> still want uses to make a conscience choice on turning on Legacy
> updates.
>
> As for FC1, now would be a great time to make a big push on
> clearing out
> all current bugs open particularly for FC1.  When we take on Fc3, we
> will fulfill all open bugs for FC1, but not open any new ones.  The
> content will remain on the download server for now, although duplicate
> updates or deprecated updates may be removed to save disk space.

I like the idea of having a yum repo file pushed out by redhat,
although I'm not sure if they'd go for it or not.  If not, I think a
good idea may be for us to release a package like legacy-yumconf-fc3
which would provide the file /etc/yum.repos.d/legacy.repo.  CentOS
does something similar if you want an example.  If we get real
ambitious, we could even stick our GPG key on the system (they'd
still have to manually import it to yum/rpm).

Also, it'd be nice to get an announcement on fedora.redhat.com and/or
fedoraproject.org that the transition will take place (and/or has
taken place) like they did for the FC2 transition.  We could put up
something on the Legacy wiki with the estimated date for the
transition (looks like Dec. 12th according to http://
fedora.redhat.com/participate/schedule/ ).

Aside from that, we'll also need to update our wiki with info for
fc3, and update everything to say we support FC3 but no longer FC1...

-Jeff