Upcoming transition of FC3

Matthew Nuzum matt.followers at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 19:53:13 UTC 2005

> The problem, and we have all seen this, is that those in the 'know' are
> not the ones who would sue FL.  All it will take is for FL to
> automagically update one package that breaks a custom billing
> application on a bored lawyer's computer....   I don't think the risk is
> worth trying to be noble.
>
> Rather than auto-updating by default, why not just disable network
> interfaces at EOL?
>
> -Jim P.

Very intriguing idea... I'll bet this could be developed into a ton of
excellent sys-admin jokes. I'd like it if someone posted the suggestion to
Slashdot so I can read all the replies it would generate.

An interesting way to make everyone happy in future generations would be to
create the FCL repo before the FC version is even released. Then everyone
could have the FCL repo in their yum config from the very beginning. Since
there's nothing eventful going on with FCL's repo until FCx+2 is near, it
would have no impact. However, once EOL comes up and FCL takes over, new
updates will automatically start coming from the FCL repo. This drastically
reduces the likelihood of an unpleasant surprise.

--
Matthew Nuzum <matt at followers.net>
www.followers.net - Makers of "Elite Content Management System"