Upcoming transition of FC3

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Oct 25 01:40:55 UTC 2005

Quoting Jeff Sheltren <sheltren at cs.ucsb.edu>:

> Hi Eric, it will be different depending on if you are talking about
> fedora core < 5 or FC5 and newer.  For those like FC3, and FC4, we
> will provide our own package; for now I've named it legacy-yumconf.
> Those packages will not be incorporated into Fedora Core, they will
> need to be installed by the user of their own free will.  I think
> that everyone is in agreement that for these packages the legacy base
> and updates repos should be enabled by default.

I don't think everyone is in agreement that they should, but I think most
people will allow them to be enabled by default, whether or not they
think it is best or not.

> For FC5 and newer, the plan is to have a legacy.repo file included by
> default.  I assume this would be included in the fedora-release RPM,
> which is what provides the other yum repo files, but that is up to
> the Fedora Steering Committee.

I guess we can, and should, leave that up to the Fedora Steering Committee
then.  Basically you're saying it is their software, and hence they get
to make the rules.

--
Eric Rostetter