dependency hell, version 2,197,386.1

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Oct 26 14:01:08 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 26 October 2005 08:47, seth vidal wrote:
>On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 15:56 +1000, Stuart Low wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> > How can I go about convincing yum to update the iptables install on
>> > my old firewall box when it reports this:
>> > [root at gene etc]# yum update iptables
>> > package iptables needs kernel that has been excluded
>> > package iptables needs kernel that has been excluded
>> > The kernel is in fact a 2.4.29, obviously new enough but locally
>> > built. Is this a case where the --nodeps --force options to rpm can
>> > be used?
>>
>> Probably not the smartest move. Be best to manually download the
>> latest kernel rpm and rpm -ivh it. Then modify your lilo/grub config
>> back to booting your custom kernel by default.
>>
>> That way you've avoided the dep issue but haven't lost your custom
>> kernel.
>
>when yum updates kernels it does not remove the older kernels. So
>there's no danger in yum installing the kernel for you.
>
>-sv

Yes Seth, but it does tend to scrap the currently valid stuff in ones
grub.conf, and I'd rather do my own editing of grub.conf.  So I'll copy
it, then restore it. One more step to have to recall or one gets bit.
IMO, the automatic editing of grub.conf can do more damage than it can
save newbies headaches.  But thats a minor detail IF one doesn't forget
to fix it before the next reboot.

?? does that boxes rpm have the --justdb option?  That would be even
simpler.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)