dependency hell, version 2,197,386.1

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Oct 26 17:42:35 UTC 2005

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 10:01:08AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 October 2005 08:47, seth vidal wrote:
> >
> >when yum updates kernels it does not remove the older kernels. So
> >there's no danger in yum installing the kernel for you.
> >
> >-sv
>
> Yes Seth, but it does tend to scrap the currently valid stuff in ones
> grub.conf,

For a very long time I did not see an installation procedure to mess
with my "extra" boot entries; it adds just new ones.  In any case
there is a very simple way to "protect" yourself.  Edit your
/etc/grub.conf with "non-standard" titles.  That should be enough to
sufficiently confuse an automatic editing so it will leave all of
that configuration alone.  Of course then it is up to you to fix
things up after every change in boot images.

> and I'd rather do my own editing of grub.conf.

Your choice; but if you prefer a "manual installation labor" then
learn how to do it completely and resolve dependencies and override
checks, where this makes sense, manually too.  It is easier to mess
up that way but it is doable.  Still this leaves you without a valid
complaint that some things are unhappy.

I would think that a better way to achieve you goals would be to
keep a copy of your current grub.conf, install, restore the previous
version of grub.conf from that copy and edit results to your taste.

   Michal