Old yum? New yum? Re: Typo in yum instructions

James Kosin jkosin at beta.intcomgrp.com
Mon Oct 31 22:51:20 UTC 2005

David Eisenstein wrote:

>On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Jesse Keating wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 12:55 -0800, Kenneth Porter wrote:
>>
>>>I upgraded one server to get the new improved XML metadata, only to find
>>>that Legacy didn't have the new metadata. So I didn't apply the update to
>>>my other servers. (I use one server as a guinea pig before letting the
>>>others update themselves.)
>>>
>>Legacy has this metadata now, and other mirrors will have it when they
>>sync. (as of a week ago?)
>

>Can someone explain about "old yum" and "new yum?" I am confused about
>this, and am not finding anything in Fedora Legacy's documentation that
>helps me better understand it.
>
>I run Fedora Core 1, and have its yum (yum-2.0.4-2 from the original FC1
>distro) installed. Is this the "new" yum? Or is the yum in updates for
>FC1 (yum-2.0.5-1) the new yum? If not, how do I go about getting the new
>yum? Will both the old and new yums work with fedoralegacy download
>sites, and/or other repositories?
>
>Also, the URL reported in the yum package on my system is
><http://www.dulug.duke.edu/yum/>. When I go to that wep-page, it looks
>like a Duke University Linux Users' Group moinmoin wiki page:
>
> "yum
>
> "This page does not exist yet. You can create a new empty page,
> or use one of the page templates. Before creating the page,
> please check if a similar page already exists."
>
>Where do I find out more information about the flavors of yum? And how
>yummy are they? :)
>
>Thanks. -David
>
>--

David,

Short answer is:
    Old yum is how FC1 and FC2 operate currently.  There has been talk
on the list about changing support for the old-yum formats to the new
format brought on by FC3 and higher, especially since the migration of
FC3 to fedoralegacy is fast approaching.
    I think what is happening is some places have already migrated to
the new format.  I'm not sure if everyone has...  If so, we should
really have an official announcement.  I haven't made any changes
myself, and I'm hoping that it already hasn't happened... but, you are
right the talk has been a bit confusing at times.

    Changes include:
    (a)  downloading an official mirror list to use for the
installation packages.  This replaces any hard links to fedoralegacy
in support for mirrors being queried fist.
    (b)  multi-configuration support.  To help avoid having a really
big main configuration file for all repos.

There may be other changes; but these are the BIG two.

James Kosin

--
Scanned by ClamAV - http://www.clamav.net