Old yum? New yum? Re: Typo in yum instructions

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon Oct 31 23:41:20 UTC 2005

--On Monday, October 31, 2005 2:45 PM -0800 Jesse Keating
<jkeating at j2solutions.net> wrote:

> There is yum 2.0.x that is in FC1 and FC2, not sure about FC3.  Yums
> greater than 2.1 or 2.2 have a new metadata format that they use.  This
> is the 'old yum' vs 'new yum' that we're talking about.  I have enabled
> both formats to work on the Legacy mirrors.

Thanks for doing so.

Something for users new to 2.1 to watch out for: The --download-only switch
went away. If you add that to your nightly cron job (in
/etc/cron.daily/yum.cron), it will either break the script or install the
updates (I forget which). I believe another utility is available that does
the equivalent.