Thoughts about James' Updates on Legacy list

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Sep 26 07:17:36 UTC 2005

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 01:29:45AM -0400, Warren Togami wrote:
> Please consider this as only a *suggestion*.  The actual decision should
> be made by Legacy project leadership and general consensus.
>
> I think it is confusing and misleading for James to post his update
> announcements to Legacy list, even despite the huge explicit disclaimer.
>   It is not a good precedent as it would be clearly bad to have all 3rd
> party packagers with their own repositories post package update
> notifications to Legacy list.  At the very least this type of mail
> causes unnecessary noise, and adds to confusion and loss of focus of the
> Legacy package development and support purpose of this list.

> I think instead James' repository would be better suited as being part
> of an external individually maintained coalition of repositories like
> these guys.

That's a list for maintainers, not users. E.g. not something you would
post announcements of new packages in. But of course James and anyone
else doing packaging is welcome to join it, I believe all repos not
hosted on redhat.com are on this list.

FWIW I don't feel like James is spamming this list. His work is focused
around EOL'd releases that have been picked up by Fedora Legacy. The
user group he is targeting *is* on this list.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net