Thoughts about James' Updates on Legacy list

James Kosin jkosin at beta.intcomgrp.com
Mon Sep 26 13:07:39 UTC 2005

Warren Togami wrote:

| Please consider this as only a *suggestion*.  The actual decision
| should be made by Legacy project leadership and general consensus.
|
| I think it is confusing and misleading for James to post his update
|  announcements to Legacy list, even despite the huge explicit
| disclaimer.   It is not a good precedent as it would be clearly bad
|  to have all 3rd party packagers with their own repositories post
| package update notifications to Legacy list.  At the very least
| this type of mail causes unnecessary noise, and adds to confusion
| and loss of focus of the Legacy package development and support
| purpose of this list.

Ok, so what would be the purpose of the list?  This list, I've found
is very low volume and is more of a hodge-podge list than anything
else.  Sorry if I hurt anyone with this comment...  I don't mean to.
True, my posts don't really, exactly belong here; but, I do mean well
and try to help people out with updates on a few packages.

| James' repository would be better suited as being part of an
| external individually maintained coalition of repositories like
| these guys.

I don't really fit in here either.  I just maintain an FC1 server and
have been stuck with this due to HW problems if I upgrade.  So, I've
been dabbling (if you don't mind the use of the word) in creating
RPM's from the fedora core RPMs for FC1 and the updates online at the
developers sites for the software, and rolling out new packages for
FC1 that way.  This way I can keep ahead with some of the software
that I use regularly that doesn't get updated in Fedora Legacy.

| I think it is appropriate for James to occasionally mention the
| existence of his repository on Legacy list, as it is related to the
|  same distributions used by Legacy list members.  The posts would
| contain a general repo description and link to more information,
| and appear maybe a few times during the year.
|
| However it is off-topic for individual package announcements or
| even summaries to be posted here as they are version upgrades,
| outside the scope of Legacy's mandate.  Another important part of
| Legacy is collaborative development of a centralized repository,
| which is not the goal of James' updates.

Ok, point taken.  I'd be willing to do this if no one objects.  Or I
could post a web-page (if I had the time) to post my complete
announcements to and only post an occasional reminder to the list with
the web-page address.
This might make everyone happier, including me.

| Again this is just my personal opinion and I don't care so much
| about the outcome.

No, you should value your opinion and share it with others.  If you
don't say anything nothing usually changes, and no one would have FC 4
or FC 5 , etc.

--
Scanned by ClamAV - http://www.clamav.net