Thoughts about James' Updates on Legacy list

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Sep 28 04:39:34 UTC 2005

James Kosin wrote:

> | James' repository would be better suited as being part of an
> | external individually maintained coalition of repositories like
> | these guys.
>
> I don't really fit in here either.  I just maintain an FC1 server and
> have been stuck with this due to HW problems if I upgrade.  So, I've
> been dabbling (if you don't mind the use of the word) in creating
> RPM's from the fedora core RPMs for FC1 and the updates online at the
> developers sites for the software, and rolling out new packages for
> FC1 that way.  This way I can keep ahead with some of the software
> that I use regularly that doesn't get updated in Fedora Legacy.

One possible danger here is if you no longer maintain this FC1 server at
some point in the future, people previously relying on your updates
suddenly no longer have a supported source of updates.  Then those users
are faced with the choice of upgrading distros, downgrading to Legacy
supported packages, or beginning to make their own packages.

> | I think it is appropriate for James to occasionally mention the
> | existence of his repository on Legacy list, as it is related to the
> |  same distributions used by Legacy list members.  The posts would
> | contain a general repo description and link to more information,
> | and appear maybe a few times during the year.
> |
> | However it is off-topic for individual package announcements or
> | even summaries to be posted here as they are version upgrades,
> | outside the scope of Legacy's mandate.  Another important part of
> | Legacy is collaborative development of a centralized repository,
> | which is not the goal of James' updates.
>
> Ok, point taken.  I'd be willing to do this if no one objects.  Or I
> could post a web-page (if I had the time) to post my complete
> announcements to and only post an occasional reminder to the list with
> the web-page address.
> This might make everyone happier, including me.

You might also want to create your own mailing list for interested
users, and that can be part of your periodic mention on this list about
your repository.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com