1-2-3 out, time for FC2?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Apr 5 20:23:30 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 04 April 2006 22:07, NARS wrote:
> If fedoralegacy supported FC1 for so long why to take fc2 out now? Try to
> do a search on dedicated servers providers, you will find most of them
> still provide FC2, and for eg. Plesk supports FC3 only on latest versions
> (officially)... another example, look at this poll at ART's site:
> http://www.atomicrocketturtle.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=NS-Polls&file
>=index&req=results&pollID=6&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
>
> I think FC2 is still used by many people, I would suggest you consider
> supporting FC2 for some more time if possible.

Honestly, I feel that supporting FC1 for so long was a mistake.  It set a
precedence that I really don't want to continue.  Legacy picked a timeline
that fit well with what Fedora produces, and what RHEL (and rebuilds) offer.
Going further than that is really beyond the scope of the Fedora Project as a
whole.  Falling back into our 1-2-3 and out set schedule will be the best
thing, and to get to that point we need to drop FC1 and FC2, to make room for
FC3.  We need to concentrate on doing better for the releases we do support,
and adding to the workload is not the way to do this.  Fedora is great, and
the lifespan we can give it is a good, but if you need more, you should
probably be looking at RHEL or one of its rebuilds.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora