1-2-3 out, time for FC2?

James Kosin jkosin at beta.intcomgrp.com
Thu Apr 6 12:45:48 UTC 2006

Tres Seaver wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:

> now? Try to
> of them
> versions
>>>>
> http://www.atomicrocketturtle.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=NS-Polls&file

> consider
>>>
>>> Honestly, I feel that supporting FC1 for so long was a mistake.
>>>
> It set a
>>> precedence that I really don't want to continue.  Legacy picked
> timeline
>>> that fit well with what Fedora produces, and what RHEL (and
> rebuilds) offer.
>>> Going further than that is really beyond the scope of the
>>> Fedora
> Project as a
>>> whole.  Falling back into our 1-2-3 and out set schedule will
>>> be
> the best
>>> thing, and to get to that point we need to drop FC1 and FC2, to
>>>
> make room for
>>> FC3.  We need to concentrate on doing better for the releases
>>> we
> do support,
>>> and adding to the workload is not the way to do this.  Fedora
>>> is
> great, and
>>> the lifespan we can give it is a good, but if you need more,
>>> you
> should
>>> probably be looking at RHEL or one of its rebuilds.
>
> I don't know that you had any alternative:  AFAICT, the active
> maintainers *all* care about older releases (RH73., RH9, FC1);  I
> haven't seen a package QA'ed for FC2 before those since it rolled
> to Legacy.
>
> Dropping the releases which get actual love may feel cleaner, but
> I don't think you are going to get the folks who have been
> maintaining those older releases to switch to a newer FC:  they
> will, as you point out, more likely switch away from Fedora
> altogether.  Perhaps there are a group of volunteers who care about
> more recent FC releases, and who can take up the load.
>
> Best,
>

> Tres.
Tres,

I think that may be a better compromise.  We just need to break it up
into whoever is willing to support each release and for how long and
not worry about scrapping each release before it is time.

It will go like RH8 did with support for 7.3 sticking around....
mostly, due to the support of the community.

James Kosin

--
Scanned by ClamAV - http://www.clamav.net