sendmail updates

Jancio Wodnik jancio_wodnik at wp.pl
Thu Apr 6 20:09:20 UTC 2006

Eric Rostetter napisał(a):
> Quoting Jancio Wodnik <jancio_wodnik at wp.pl>:
>
>> I have got latest sendmail's update on my rh73 and rh9 boxes.
>>
>> Issues are still the same: after update there is lack of those files:
>
> After update from which version? Were any manual changes made those files
> on the machine before the latest install?  Did you install or upgrade
> the package?
When i remember, there was an update of sendmail in march, wait, i will
grep that for you:

25 of march my system was update with sendmail-8.12.11-4.22.9.legacy and
then was problem with AUTH - mail from local lan were rejected, so i
greep mailing list, irc and i made: alternatives --configure mta so
(when i can well remember) this command rebuild all broken symlink, in
/etc/pam.d too.

After that, there cam another update of sendmail,
sendmail-8.12.11-4.22.10.legacy which broke again AUTH, i fix that by
making necessery symbolic links by hand, i make that quickly,
alternatives --config mail didn't make necessry symlinks (wired ?).

>> 1) there is no more /etc/pam.d/smtp.sendmail -> but thereis
>> /etc/pam.d/smtp.rpmnew
>> 2) there is no more /usr/lib/sendmail.sendmail
>
> See the excellent post by David E. and see which category you fit in,
> and whether or not his explainations there explain your problems or
> not.

Saddly, but all these boxes are production servers, so i have no time to
do further investigation.
>> In /etc/alternatives were broken links: mta-pam, mta-sendmail,
>> mta-sendmailman
>
> I can confirm if you did both updates in order you have broken links
> on RH9, but interesting my broken links are different from what you
> report.
>
>> My sendmail rejects incoming mail form LAN, so i must by hand fix above
>> broken symlinks, after that and sendmail reload all goes fine.
>
> If you remove sendmail and reinstall the latest package (you should
> certainly
> backup /etc/mail before doing this) does it resolve all the problems you
> see?
Sory, but i can't experiment for that, it is production box and we are
planning to move to CentOS.

>> So there are still problems with the latest update, when we spoke
>> about: problems with alternatives and sendmail. In my opinion: the
>> latest update didn't fix that. That's all.
>
> We need more info on what you did before we can conclude that.
>
> I think the biggest problem/complaint would be that the fine details
> about
> how to apply the newest package based on previous updates was missing.
> It should have made mention of what would happen in the 4 different
> cases.
Yes i saw that.

How to apply ? By yum night updates !

I'm tired, so i close this case for me and will not do further
investigation. Sorry.

See ya.