sendmail updates

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Apr 6 02:05:48 UTC 2006

Quoting Jancio Wodnik <jancio_wodnik at wp.pl>:

> I have got latest sendmail's update on my rh73 and rh9 boxes.
>
> Issues are still the same: after update there is lack of those files:

After update from which version? Were any manual changes made those files
on the machine before the latest install?  Did you install or upgrade
the package?

> 1) there is no more /etc/pam.d/smtp.sendmail -> but thereis
> /etc/pam.d/smtp.rpmnew
> 2) there is no more /usr/lib/sendmail.sendmail

See the excellent post by David E. and see which category you fit in,
and whether or not his explainations there explain your problems or
not.

> In /etc/alternatives were broken links: mta-pam, mta-sendmail,
> mta-sendmailman

I can confirm if you did both updates in order you have broken links
on RH9, but interesting my broken links are different from what you
report.

> My sendmail rejects incoming mail form LAN, so i must by hand fix above
> broken symlinks, after that and sendmail reload all goes fine.

If you remove sendmail and reinstall the latest package (you should certainly
backup /etc/mail before doing this) does it resolve all the problems you
see?

> So there are still problems with the latest update, when we spoke
> about: problems with alternatives and sendmail. In my opinion: the
> latest update didn't fix that. That's all.

We need more info on what you did before we can conclude that.

I think the biggest problem/complaint would be that the fine details about
how to apply the newest package based on previous updates was missing.
It should have made mention of what would happen in the 4 different cases.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!